click to enlarge
| In this tutorial
I will lead you through the process of permanently attaching your SBIG
ST-7 CCD camera and CFW-8 color filter wheel. The color filter wheel
can be used without permanently attaching it to the CCD camera but you
will find it easier to attach to your telescope if the CCD and CFW are
permanently attached to each other.
The Color Filter Wheel is an accessory that mounts on the front of the CCD camera, and allows users to take images through optical filters. The CFW-8 filter wheel has 5 filter positions: red filter, green filter, blue filter, clear filter and clear aperture position for additional filters of your choice. "Primary" color images are taken through the red, green and blue filters and the clear filter allows ordinary observing without having to refocus.
Ordinarily the CFW-8 is installed onto the camera using the T-thread and mount. If a more permanent mounting of the CFW-8 to the ST-7 is desired, the filter wheel can be mounted directly to the ST-7 front plate as follows:
1. Remove the ST-7's T-thread mount (held
in place with 4 phillips head screws). This will reveal the ccd chip
which is a Kodak KAF0400.
2. Remove the cover of the CFW-8 and pull the filter magazine out of the housing.
3. Remove the 4 rubber hole plugs from the
rear of the CFW-8 by pushing them through the housing with a small allen
tool or an ink pens works well also.
4. Using the two 4-40 x 5/16 cap screws and the two 4-40 x 5/16 phillips head screws provided, attach the CFW-8 to the front of the ST-7. The 2 phillips head screws go in the holes near the center of the filter wheel and the 2 cap screws go in the holes near the outer radius of the CFW-8. Make sure you use the provided screws whose length of 5/16 is required to thread into the ST-7 front plate without breaking through the blind taps.
5. The CFW-8 has a cable that comes out the side that needs to connect to your camera electronics. The CFW-8 gets its power and positioning information fromthe camera thru this connector. The cable plugs into the ST-7's 9-pin telescope connector adjacent to the cable connecting the ST-7 to the PC. Additionally, the CFW-8 connector has a phone-jack connector that allows you to connect to the telescope for tracking and self-guiding.
This is the S.B.I.G. recommended procedure for permanently connecting the CFW-8 color filter wheel and the ST-7 CCD camera.
Back to How To Index